Sunday, February 7, 2010

Choosing a POV

I'm currently re-writing the novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo this past November. I'm doing additional historical research, re-profiling some of the characters, and making some major plot changes. However, I'm finding myself completely stumped when it comes to what point-of-view to write in.

The options I've come up with:

#1) First person POV from the main female character's perspective.
Pros: More intimate. I know this character really well and it wouldn't be difficult to get inside her head. There would probably be more suspense since she can't possibly know some of the other goings-on in the story or what the other characters are thinking/feeling.
Cons: Limiting. There are some other characters (mainly the male main character) who I feel should be explored. And there are some other important events/back-story that need to be part of the story, but would be impossible from FMC's.

#2) First person POV from both FMC and MMC.
Pros: I would be able to convey a personal perspective from both of these main characters, who end up having a romantic relationship. Their lives differ in many, many ways. And there are some personal events in both their lives that need to be a part of the story.
Cons: This is a difficult way to write. I could alternate the POV by chapter and specifying whose point of view at the beginning of each chapter, but I would have to be sure to write/speak entirely different depending on whose perspective that chapter was coming from. And I'm not sure I have that intimate of a grasp on the MMC to know his voice.

#3) Third person POV focusing on both FMC and MMC.
Pros: I would be able to write from an outsider's perspective but know the intimate details of both of these characters. I would be able to include both of their deepest feelings, histories, thoughts, etc.
Cons: I'd need to be sure to avoid "head-jumping." And sometimes I feel that third-person can feel so distant.

What do you think? What POV do you find most interesting to read? to write?

Amore.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for another historical fiction writer!

    I'm also trying to re-write my NaNo novel and I'm in the same boat as you--trying to decide which POV to use. During NaNo I started writing it in third person, but then I thought it felt too distant, so I tried first person...but then my critique group said it wasn't as good. So now I'm going back to third person. For now.

    I'm doing something different though--I'm going to try and write third person but only my one MC's POV. The story is hers and I feel going into another viewpoint will take away from the story. But it's still rough and still may change.

    Glad I found another HF writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that a difficult question? I, unfortunately, tend to God-like perspective when I write an original manuscript. It takes an editing or two before I can get in close and actually become part of the action. No wonder I enjoyed the Percy Jackson and the Olympians movie so much! And yet the books are - shockingly - over the top better. Their POV is so close and personal, as an example, that we constantly hear what's going on in Percy's head. Crazy, and yet appropriate. Wish I could do that.

    ReplyDelete