Friday, October 30, 2009

Ribbon Red

(above image: Red ribbon by OctoberCurse)

That red ribbon is awfully lovely, is it not? Young Mary Saunders would've agreed with you. Mary lived in 18th-Century London and truly would have done anything for such a beautiful piece of scarlet ribbon.

I'm currently about half-way through Emma Donoghue's Slammerkin. It's been a long time since I've read a piece of historical fiction that wasn't written in 1st-person---but I'm really enjoying this romp through old London with all its "cullies" and "cunnies". (Excuse my terrible language, but I've been hanging out in the wrong parts of London for a few weeks, thanks to Donoghue.)

The word slammerkin is defined as a loose dress or a loose woman... and the novel "Slammerkin" is about both. It is the story of Mary Saunder's lust for lovely attire, adventures in prostitution, and desire for liberty in one of history's most dreary times for women.

I'll let you know when I finish!

Amore.

No comments:

Post a Comment