Friday, October 30, 2009

The Gilded Chamber by Rebecca Kohn


A well known Biblical figure to whom the book Esther owes its name comes to life in Rebecca Kohn's novel "The Gilded Chamber." While the Bible tells the story of how the Jewish queen saves the life of her people, there is still much left a mystery. What brought Esther to Persia? What exactly took her from her betrothed cousin and brought her to the king? What was life like in the harem? Did she have friends? Who were her enemies? Questions like this have always remained in my mind after hearing the Biblical account of Esther. Kohn, through the voice of that heroic queen, answers them for me.

"The story of Esther---whose mesmerizing beauty was matched only by her clear-eyed wisdom---has inspired women for centuries. Now her suspenseful tale comes to life throgh the eyes of a contemporary woman, debut novelist Rebecca Kohn. Capturing the passionate longings and political danger that have made Ester's legacy so timeless, 'The Gilded Chamber' blends meticulous research with gripping storytelling to transport us to an ancient time in the far-flung Persian Empire.

Orphaned and terrified, Esther journeys across the River Tigris to start a new life with her cousin---a man well positioned in the court, and to whom she is betrothed. Her transformation from girl to woman unfolds against a lavish backdrop of the royal court and harem, rife with intrigue and daring alliances. Esther wins much of what she seeks: the heart of a king, and the deliverance of her people. But her rise to the role of queen is not without a price; she must turn her back on all that she ever wanted, and give her body to a man she can never love.

In a haunting, unflinching voice, 'The Gilded Chamber' illuminates an epic dilemma between the yearnings of a woman's heart and the obligations imposed on her by fate. In Esther's case, choice makes history---and unforgettable reading."
(From the front inside jacket cover.)

I absolutely fell in love with this book. Up until this novel, all of the historical fiction I'd read had taken place in Europe or America. I must say that it was an exciting journey into the ancient Persian Empire. And Kohn truly transported me there. (Like I always say: the best historical fiction offers a means of time-travel.) I reveled in Kohn's descriptions of the luxurious palace quarters, exquisite clothing, plush rugs, lush gardens, ornate sculptures, and all the fragrances that permeated the atmosphere. Her details regarding characters brought them to life; I knew how each character looked, smelled, dressed, walked, talked---and in such intimate ways.

The story begins in a heart-wrenching way as Esther is orphaned---her father was killed and mother died in childbirth. She is so vulnerable and so heartbroken, but she clings with a child's hope and optimism to living with her cousin, marrying him, being his wife, and bearing him children. All of her dreams are ripped out from beneath her when all of the kingdom's beautiful oung virgins are forced into the king's harem. It's a horrifying and tear-jerking ordeal, not only for Esther, but for the other young women. And so begins her journey toward the king's heart. As a modern young woman, it is hard to understand Esther's motives and what she must have been going through. But as a reader, I became absorbed into the harem, too. And I understood why Esther had to strive to please the king. (Those that didn't were forced to become dancing girls or even worse: sent off to the soldiers.)

My favorite part about the novel was the glimpse into the harems. I think Kohn constructed a very believable harem setting. It was more of a prison than anything. Eunuchs guarded the women. The women were groomed and bathed and perfumed and beautified to look like goddesses. There were pregnancies and abortions. There was sadness, envy, and delight. There were women who found pleasure in other women. And there was drug-laced wine that dulled the women into submission. It was not at all glamorous and not at all a place a girl wanted to end up. And yet out of this place, Esther rose to become queen.

I also love Kohn's portrayal of characters besides Esther. The king is handsome and strong, but has his weaknesses when it comes to wine. The former queen Vashti is simultaneously intriguing, breathtakingly beautiful, and absolutely terrifying. From the eunuchs and harem women to the royal family and their trusted attendants---each character is multi-dimensional with their own strengths and weaknesses. I think that's what really kept me guessing throughout the entire story: wondering what so-and-so was going to do next.

The book was very suspenseful. Even knowing the eventual outcome, I still found myself wondering what was happening next. There times of such high intensity that I could hardly bear to turn the page, but could not wait to. I read this book everywhere I went. My nose was stuck in it on my way to class on the bus. I read it while I ate at lunch and supper. I read it in my room. I carried it with me from building to building. I absolutely could not put it down and it has inspired me to look for more novels that focus on the women of ancient Persia, and of harems in particular.

This is a lush, gorgeous, captivating re-telling of the Biblical story of Esther and I highly recommend it. I might also add that the story has an ending to look forward to. It definitely took me by surprise.

Amore.

No comments:

Post a Comment