Friday, June 19, 2009

The Art of Love

Romani quidem artem amatoriam invenerunt.
You know, the Romans invented the art of love.

I'm enamored with ancient Rome. Sometimes it's a love-hate. I despise that the Romans destroyed, ravaged, and entertained such excesses. But in the end, my love for them wins out. It's an adoration I've had for the civilization since I was a little girl. So many of my stories are set in ancient Rome, especially the 1st Century AD. The above image is a statue of Eros and Psyche; the sculpture is on display at the Louvre. (I would love to see it.) It always inspires me. It's so beautiful and passionate.

Amore.


P.S. The quote below the image is Latin, if you couldn't tell. It is one of my life goals to learn Latin. This fall I will be taking my first college Latin class. :) I absolutely can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment