Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Return to the Harem

(above image: a favourite in the harem by evser on deviantart.)

Okay, so I know that I said that I wouldn't be sticking my nose into another book until after finals... but I caved in! There are certain times of my day (i.e. riding the bus, waiting for class to start, sitting at the bus stop) that having a book on hand helps to pass the time. Since I'm already mostly moved out of the dorm, I sent most of my "to-be-read" books home with my parents. But alas! Harem by Dora Levy Mossanen was left behind. I took it from the near-empty bookshelf, tossed it in my backpack, and went off to class.

And so far I'm enamored with the book.

You'll recall that I recently read The Gilded Chamber, a novel of Queen Esther that for the most part took place in a harem. Now I'm returning to that glittering, luxurious prison of eunuchs, sultanas, opium, silken veils, and secrets. So far it is a much different take on the harm than The Gilded Chamber, but it also takes place in a slightly different setting and religious context. And plus there's still lots of novel left. It's also pretty fast-paced, so I may have another review up soonly.

But back to paper-writing and studying for finals. I'll be happily reading in the spare time that I can manage to muster!

Amore.

No comments:

Post a Comment